Feel like having Indian food for dinner? Try this recipe for palak chole! It's a spicy, comforting spinach and chickpea curry that's full of vibrant flavor. So yum!
Palak Chole: Indian Spinach and Chickpea Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Palak Chole: Indian Spinach and Chickpea Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 green chili
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1-inch piece of ginger
- 4 tablespoons oil (coconut or any neutral-tasting oil)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup spinach
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas
- 2 cups of water
How to Prepare Palak Chole: Indian Spinach and Chickpea Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Blend the onion, chili, garlic, and ginger in a food processor until a paste is formed.
- Fry the cumin seeds, cardamom pods, and bay leaf in a pan for 1-2 minutes in a large saucepan.
- Add the paste and fry it until golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and spice powders and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until it has wilted down.
- Rinse the chickpeas in cold water, then add them with the water.
- Let everything simmer for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Season to taste with salt, and serve with rice.
- A squeeze of lemon over the plate before you eat is great over any curry or dal!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1542 | Total Carbs: 200 g | Total Fat: 59 g | Total Protein: 58 g | Total Sodium: 2530 g | Total Sugar: 52 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.