This Orange Vinaigrette Beetroot Salad is sweet, savory and a pleasure to eat. Beets have an earthy flavor. It’s important to cut through this earthiness with something sweet and tangy, like the orange juice. The tartness of the balsamic vinegar gives that sour element and the freshness of the parsley rounds this dish out.
Orange Vinaigrette Beetroot Salad [Vegan]
- 10 beets
- 1 orange (juice and zest)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the greens off the beets, place them into a large pot of cold water and heat on high until they come to a boil.Turn them down to a simmer and cook for 35 minutes, or until tender(you can insert a knife or skewer into the flesh to test doneness).
- Drain the beets and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Remove the skin (you may want to use gloves or you'll have suspicious hands) and cut into cubes.
- In a bowl, add the zest and juice of the orange, the balsamic vinegar, agave, oregano, and salt and pepper. Whilst whisking, pour in the olive oil.
- Pour all over the beets, toss in the parsley and serve at room temperature or cold.