Pakora is an Indian snack that's essentially a vegetable dipped in chickpea flour, so they're naturally gluten-free, and then deep-fried until crispy. These savory onion pakoras are spiced with garlic, cumin, and curry powder and served with a cool, spicy, and creamy avocado dip. These are perfect as an appetizer or snack at any party. They are such a showstopper––all of your guests will be super impressed!
Onion Pakoras With Avocado Dipping Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Onion Pakoras With Avocado Dipping Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Dipping Sauce:
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and removed from skin
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2–1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 clove garlic
- A pinch of cumin
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water, more as needed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Pakoras:
- 2 brown onions, sliced thinly into half moons
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup water, more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch of cayenne
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
How to Prepare Onion Pakoras With Avocado Dipping Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Dipping Sauce:
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blend on high until smooth. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water, a tablespoon at a time. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
To Make the Pakoras:
- Place sliced onions in a medium bowl. Add chickpea flour, baking powder, and spices. Stir while slowly pouring water into the bowl. You’re looking for a thick pancake batter consistency. It should be holding the onions together relatively well.
- Add about 3 inches of vegetable oil into a cast-iron skillet. Heat on medium. Place a small piece of an onion in the pan to test. If it instantly sizzles, the oil is hot enough for frying.
- Place rounded tablespoons of the mixture in the pan. Flip when golden brown. Allow to cook evenly on both sides and take out and place on a paper towel to soak up any extra oil.
- Serve hot with dipping sauce.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 921 | Total Carbs: 119 g | Total Fat: 33 g | Total Protein: 36 g | Total Sodium: 109 g | Total Sugar: 25 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.