Bursting with flavor, this onion and bell pepper masala is a delicious and complex-tasting addition to any bowl of plain, white rice. It is spicy and savory, with layers of herbs and spices bringing out the best of the flavors of the vegetables. Use it as a side dish or paired with naan as an appetizer.
Onion and Pepper Masala [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Onion and Pepper Masala [Vegan]
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 green chilis, chopped
- 1-inch ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon cashews
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
How to Prepare Onion and Pepper Masala [Vegan]
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds, turmeric powder, cashews, asafoetida, and sauté until cashews become light golden in color.
- Add onion, ginger, garlic, and green chilis and sauté until onion becomes translucent, about 6-8 minutes. You can add salt while sautéeing the onion, as this makes it cook faster.
- Now add tomato ketchup, garam masala, and red chili powder and mix well.
- Add the finely chopped bell pepper, water for desired consistency, salt to taste, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the bell pepper is cooked.
- Serve hot.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.