This is a very simple vanilla cake baked in a heart shaped pan with vanilla buttercream but simple is quite delicious! The cake layers create an ombre effect from dark pink to light and buttercream roses to decorate the top. Love is in the air!
Ombre Heart Valentine’s Day Cake [Vegan]
- 4 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 10 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons dairy-free butter
- Coconut Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- Edible gold dust (optional)
- Combine the flax meal with the hot water and let stand for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add the vanilla to the soy milk.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt,
- Cream the vegan butter with the sugar until light and fluffy and this may take about 3-5 minutes on medium to high speed.
- Add the thickened flax paste while mixing on medium speed, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to incorporate evenly.
- Add about 1/3 of the flour to the creamed mixture then add half of the soy milk.
- Add another 1/3 of the flour and then the remaining soy milk.
- Add the last amount of flour and mix just to combine evenly.
- Divide the batter evenly into 4 bowls and color them from darker pink to light pink (almost white).
- Bake for 25 minutes in a greased and parchment lined heart shaped pan or until they are springy to the touch when you gently press the centers.
- Meanwhile prepare the buttercream recipe of your choice as per the instructions on that recipe.
- Divide the buttercream into 4 equal bowls leaving 1 portion white and the other 3 in ombre pinks.
- Decorate to your liking!
- For the sugar glaze combine the confectioners sugar with the almond milk and pipe around the edge of the cake.
- Once the sugar glaze has dried, paint it with gold luster dust mixed with a bit of vodka to make a paint-able paste.