These epic burgers are guaranteed to win you first place at any cookout contest this summer. The hearty walnut patties are made even more substantial by the addition of red lentils and the mixture is flavored with a savory blend of spices and tossed in the oven (or on the grill), cooked to a golden-brown perfection, and then sandwiched between two Portobellos. This burger is definitely at the top of our "things to cook" list this weekend.
Oil-Free Walnut-Lentil Burgers With Portobello Mushroom Buns [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 red onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Portobello mushroom caps
- Cook the lentils until they're soft.
- Shred the onion, walnuts, and carrot in a food processor or grate the carrot and chop the onion and walnuts finely.
- Fry them in water for 3-5 minutes.
- Combine the lentils with all the remaining ingredients.
- Make several thick patties with wet hands and fry them on both sides until they're golden brown. If you want to make them oil-free, bake them for 15 minutes at 400°F.
- Serve the patties on buns of your choice together with your favorite burger toppings.