This hearty bread is made of just nuts, seeds, and oats — no flour. Sunflower seeds and hazelnuts help to give it both a variety of flavor and a dense and hearty texture. Enjoy a slice of this bread toasted for breakfast, with a spread of vegan butter, or use it to make your sandwiches.
Oatmeal Bread [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Oatmeal Bread [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts or pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons psyllium seed husks
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- A small handful of olives, pitted and chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
How to Prepare Oatmeal Bread [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk maple syrup, oil, and water together in another bowl. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix very well, until everything is completely soaked. Wait until all the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. You should get a very sticky and rough dough.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Once ready, transfer the dough in a silicon loaf pan. Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon. Put it away in the refrigerator for an hour. The dough is ready when it retains its shape even when you pull the sides of the loaf pan away from it.
- Place the loaf pan in the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the bread from the loaf pan, place it upside down directly on the rack and bake for another 30 minutes. The bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
- Store the oat bread wrapped in bread paper or parchment up to five days.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.