This soup is heartwarming! It’s filled with straightening veggies like potatoes, carrots and kale. Barley adds its dose of minerals and will keep you satisfied for longer.
Nourishing Barley Minestrone Soup [Vegan]
- 2 medium size potatoes (with skin on)
- A medium size carrot
- 2 stalks of celery
- An onion
- 3 big cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 cup kale sprouts (or chopped kale)
- 1 cup green peas (frozen or canned)
- A thick slice of lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt
- 3 bay leaves
- About 7 peppercorns + a healthy pinch of ground black pepper
- A handful of fresh, chopped parsley (+ extra for garnishing)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups of water
- For garnishing – spring onions and dill
- Prepare the vegetables – wash the potatoes, carrot, celery, and kale sprouts. Cube the potatoes and chop the carrot and celery. Set aside.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. Heat a pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and onion & garlic. Cook for about 4 minutes until translucent and fragrant. Add the spices – salt, coriander, bay leaves, peppercorns, ground pepper, and lemon. Stir well and let the spices cook for 2 more minutes until.
- Add 6 cups of water along with cubed potatoes, chopped carrot, celery, kale sprouts (if using chopped kale, add it in the end, along with green peas), and pearl barley.
- Wait until the soup starts to boil, cover the pot with lid and let it cook for 30 minutes until pearl barley is al dente and the veggies have cooked. Add the green peas and let them cook for two more minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in chopped parsley. Taste test and adjust spices if necessary.
- Serve garnished with fresh parsley, spring onions and dill. For an extra flavor and satisfaction, add a dollop of a homemade vegan sour cream.