These couscous squares are made from whole wheat couscous, a mixture of dried fruits for sweetness, pumpkin seeds for added crunch, apple juice, and water — simple as that. They are perfect for breakfast or as a snack throughout the day. They are light and tasty and cake-like without the flour and baking. I put them together on Monday evening and enjoyed them over the next few days as a snack on the go.
No-Bake Flourless Couscous Squares [Vegan]
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 1/2 cup pure unsweetened apple juice
- 1 1/2 cup water (you can substitute all or part of this with more apple juice for a slightly sweeter end result)
- 1 cup of mixed dried fruits of your choice
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup dry toasted nuts (optional)
- Vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup or other flavor of choice (optional and to taste)
- Bring apple juice, water, dried fruits and pumpkin seeds to a boil in a large pot. If you want, at this point you can also add vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup or other flavoring of choice.
- Pour in couscous in a waterfall manner, while stirring.
- Remove from heat, cover and let sit for about 10 minutes so that the couscous can absorb all the liquid. Stir in nuts if using.
- Press mixture into a baking dish, to about 1 inch thickness, using the back of a silicone spatula or your fingers if you can handle the heat (I can’t) and let “solidify”.
- Slice up into squares and enjoy for breakfast or a light snack throughout the day.
I poured the mixture into an 11×17 dish and sliced it into 12 squares, and poured the remaining mixture into a 6 cup muffin tray so yield will vary depending on the format you use