Who doesn't love the classic Neapolitan combo of vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate? It's delicious in ice cream, cupcakes, and as this recipe demonstrates, in cake! This beautiful cake consists of a chewy date-almond crust, a layer of creamy cheesecake, three Neapolitan-style layers, and finally a decadent chocolate topping.
Neapolitan Cheesecake [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup almonds
- 7 Medjool dates
- 1/4 teaspoon ground vanilla beans
- A pinch of salt
- A splash of water, if needed
For the Cheesecake Base:
- 2 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2/3 cup maple syrup, to taste
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground vanilla beans
- A pinch of salt
For the Chocolate Layer:
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup, to taste
For the Strawberry Layer:
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
For the Chocolate Topping:
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk
To Make the Crust:
- Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until sticky crumbles form. Add a splash of water if it needs help coming together.
- Press into a parchment-lined spring-form pan.
To Make the Cheesecake Base:
- The night before, place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. The next day, drain and rinse.
- Blend cashews in a food processor. Then add remaining base ingredients and blend again, scraping down the sides as needed. Taste and adjust.
- Pour roughly 2/3 of the cheesecake mixture into 2 separate bowls (1/3 in each).
To Make the Chocolate Layer:
- In the food processor, add cacao and sweetener to taste and blend thoroughly.
- Pour over crust and place in the freezer for 20 minutes to harden.
To Make the Strawberry and Vanilla Layers:
- Rinse your food processor and add in 1 bowl of cheesecake base and 1 cup of strawberries and blend.
- Pour over chocolate layer carefully so not to disturb the chocolate.
- Freeze again for a minimum of 30-40 minutes to harden.
- After it has solidified, pour vanilla layer on top very slowly and carefully so the layers stay intact.
- Smooth it out and place back in the freezer for 1 hour.
To Make the Chocolate Topping:
- Heat the coconut milk to simmering and pour over chocolate.
- Let it set for 3 minutes to melt, then whisk smooth.
- Spread over the vanilla layer and set in the refrigerator to let the chocolate harden.
- When cheesecake and chocolate have both solidified, serve.
This cheesecake was made with a 7" springform pan. Using a larger pan will result in a flatter/shorter cake.