Within 30 minutes this thick, rich, creamy, savory, and flavorsome Mushroom Pepper Masala can be ready and served. This fragrant entrée includes spices like cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, and a slightly tangy roasted green chili for an extra kick. Serve this dish warm with brown rice, naan, or quinoa.
Mushroom Pepper Masala [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mushroom Pepper Masala [Vegan]
For the Masala:
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, dry roasted and salted
- 1/2 cup raw peanuts
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4-inch cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 whole fire roasted green chili
For the Entrée:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 4 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cups white mushrooms, quartered
- 4 cups colored bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
How to Prepare Mushroom Pepper Masala [Vegan]
- In a food processor, combine all the masala ingredients and grind smooth.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add thyme, sage leaves, onions, ginger garlic paste, and onion powder.
- Sauté until the onions are cooked and translucent, or light golden in color.
- Add mushrooms to it and cook covered until mushrooms soften and release juice, stir a couple of times in between to avoid sticking.
- Once mushrooms are cooked, add the ground masala to it and mix gently to cover all the mushrooms with the masala without breaking them.
- Add water, salt, cayenne pepper, and dried fenugreek and cook for few seconds.
- At the first boil add bell peppers and mix gently.
- Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the entrée is very well cooked.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.