These fajitas are going to become a Mexican favorite in your house. A medley of sautéed vegetables are tucked neatly into a corn tortilla, then topped with avocado, cilantro, and a spicy cashew cream sauce. Leave some of the zesty sauce on the side for dipping tortilla chips!
Mushroom and Pepper Fajitas With Spiced Cashew Cream Sauce [Vegan]
For the Fajitas:
- Sprouted corn tortillas
- Spiced cream sauce (recipe below)
- Fajita veggie mix (recipe below)
- Cilantro, chopped
- Avocado slices
- Lettuce, chopped
For the Spiced Cream Sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 10 minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion granules
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Several turns cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup water
For the Fajita Veggie Mix:
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, any color
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps, sliced and then cut into half
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium-sized carrot, grated
- A small shake of salt and pepper and a pinch of dried red chili flakes
To Make the Spiced Cream Sauce:
- Place all of the ingredients into your blender and blend until creamy and smooth.
To Make the Fajita Veggie Mix:
- Heat a skillet for about a minute over medium heat and add the onion. Cook for about 6 minutes, adding a tablespoon of water at a time when the onions start to stick, and flipping with a spatula so they cook nice and even and don’t burn.
- Add the peppers, mushrooms (Portobello and regular), carrot, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 5 minutes, flipping over intermittently with the spatula. The salt will help release the liquid from the mushrooms, so there’s no need to add more water. Just flip them when they stick. It takes about two minutes for the liquid to release from the mushrooms.
- Heat the corn tortillas and spread a generous amount of spiced cream sauce on each one.
- Add some of the fajita veggie mix, cilantro, avocado slices, and lettuce.
- Top with more spiced cream sauce and serve.