Mushrooms, beets, and black beans. The combination of these three ingredients creates a magnificently meaty burger. Not to mention, mushrooms and roasted beets provide you with that fantastic fifth taste: umami. You're really going to dig this tasty burger.
Mushroom, Beet, and Black Bean Burger [Vegan]
- 2 cups cooked black beans, drained (or 2 cups canned beans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 large beet, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup quick cook oats
- 1/4 14-ounce block firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Finely dice the beets, toss them in olive oil, and roast for 30 mins or until fork tender.
- Finely dice the mushrooms, toss them in olive oil, and sauté until they lose their water.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Pulse until mixture forms a slightly chunky dough
- Form mixture into 6 patties by hand and place each patty on an oiled cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes, flipping patties after 10 minutes.