Savory crêpes are perfect for breakfast or lunch . . . or dinner. They are basically good all the time and this recipe will show you how to make them at home in no time. These delicate crêpes are filled with a savory asparagus and they are topped with a decadent hollandaise sauce to finish the dish off.
Mushroom and Asparagus Crêpes [Vegan]
For the Crêpes:
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup vegan parmesan
- 1 cup flour
For the Filling:
- 12-16 asparagus spears
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- Olive oil, as needed to cook the vegetables
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Vegan parmesan and smoked paprika, for garnish
To Make the Crêpes:
- Combine all ingredients and set the mixture in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- While the batter is resting, combine all the filling ingredients and whisk them together until smooth.
- Heat a medium size skillet on medium heat. Right before you are going to add batter, put a small dap of oil in the pan and swirl it to coat the pan.
- Use a 1/4 cup scoop to scoop batter into the pan, swirling the pan as you pour to evenly coat the pan with the batter.
- Once the batter is even, set the pan down and allow the crêpe to brown slightly. Then carefully lift up the edges with a spatula and flip over. If you are a beginning crêpe maker, you can skip the flipping part if you can't get right, just allow the batter to set on the top.
- Once the crêpe is browned on both sides, turn it out onto a paper towel or a plate.
- Repeat this with remaining batter until all of it has been used.
To Make the Vegetables:
- Add the shallots to the pan with a little oil, cook them until they are translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and balsamic to the same pan and cook them for 2 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and cook it until the desired texture is achieved. You may also roast the asparagus in the oven.
- To serve, place 2 or 3 spears of asparagus in the center of a crêpe with the rest of the veggie mix. Fold the sides up and top with the hollandaise sauce and garnish it with smoked paprika, vegan parmesan, and thyme.