Hearty, easy-to-make and delicious Moroccan Chickpea soup. This dish is infused with the amazing flavors of Moroccan cuisine.
Moroccan Chickpea Soup [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Hot Paprika
- Pinch of Saffron, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 15-ounce can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Medium Red Potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 Small Tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock or Water
- 2 tablespoons Parsley or Mint, minced
- To taste Salt & Pepper
- To serve Lemon wedges
- In a large saucepan; heat the olive oil on medium-high heat. Add onions, sugar and pinch of salt and cook till onion is softened, about 3~4 minutes. Stir in garlic, paprika, saffron, ginger, cumin and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chickpeas, potatoes and the stock/ water. Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat, cover and cook for 10~12 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Next add the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and cook for another 5~8 minutes. If the soup looks too thick, add more water as needed.
- Mash the potatoes with the back of a wooden spoon to thicken the soup.
- Take the soup off the heat and add the chopped herbs. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve hot with lemon wedges.