Since discovering an old ice cream maker in my parent’s attic, I have been obsessed with making ice cream. It is remarkable how easy it is to make any flavor combination I desire in under 30 minutes. One of my favorites right now is this refreshing Matcha Chocolate Chip version. I was messing around because I got some new organic peppermint extract that I was dying to use and I'm so glad I did. Not only is this easy, it'll quickly become your new summer favorite!
Mint Matcha Chip Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup sugar of choice
- 1/2 tablespoon mint extract
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Combine coconut milk, almond milk, mint extract, sugar, and matcha powder in a small mixing bowl and whisk until combined. Place bowl n fridge for at least 2 hours, overnight is best
- Once mixture is chilled, pour into ice cream maker (make sure the bowl has been frozen overnight or at least 8 hours). allow ice cream to churn for about 15 minutes, or until it is thickened up significantly.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave in 15 second intervals until creamy and melty.
- Spoon small spoonfuls of the melted chocolate into the running ice cream machine so the chocolate swirls in. **the chocolate will harden as soon as it touches the frozen ice cream, so make sure your spoonfuls aren't huge so they have time to separate before hardening.
- Once all the chocolate is swirled, turn ice cream maker off and pour ice cream into the container you are going to store it in. Place in freezer until desired consistency is reached.
- **For those without ice cream makers. You can start with step 1 and then freeze the mixture in a bread pan or small casserole dish, stirring every 15 minutes or so. Once it is half way hardened, add the chocolate in steps 3-5. Place your mixture back in freezer and keep stirring every 15 minutes until desired texture is reached.