A delicious plant-based treat for the summer months!
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 1 heaping cup raw cashews
- 1/2-3/4 cup erythritol (or any granulated sweetener of your choice—use enough to satisfy your own sweet tooth and remember that
- when the mixture freezes it will taste less sweet)
- small bunch fresh peppermint leaves (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vodka (yes, you read that right, see notes)
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon spirulina powder (for color)
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips or chocolate chunks (see notes)
- a few peppermint leaves for garnish (optional)
- Blend the cashews with just enough water to cover until smooth, then add remaining ingredients, except for the chocolate chips/chunks.
- Transfer to a jar or pitcher and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. It's important that your mixture is cold when you go to pour it into your ice cream maker!
- Set up your ice cream maker, per the instructions, and slowly pour in your mixture. When the allotted time is up (usually about 20 minutes for most churners), slowly add the chips until incorporated.
- Freeze for at least a few hours before enjoying.
- You will need to let the ice cream soften a bit before scooping.
Okay so here's the deal. SALT. I don't usually use it at all. But without all of the gross ingredients that most commercial ice cream has, it will tend to get REALLY hard and flaky and thus hard to scoop. Sure you can omit it, but just be prepared as you will need to let the ice cream sit out for a good amount of time before it is soft enough to serve. Same goes with the vodka. Alcohol will keep the mixture from freezing too hard. As fas as the chocolate goes, chips are easy, but using a good quality dark chocolate bar and cut it up into chunks. It will flake and crumble into various sizes.