What’s your favorite herb? Mine is mint. Love mint. Even more so, love mint in rice. Rather than having plain rice, add some flavor to it and enjoy with a curry.
Mint Biryani With Garden Peas [Vegan]
- 1 cup fresh round mint leaves-tightly packed
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves-tightly packed
- 1 1/2 onions-( slice 1 lengthwise, then the other 1/2 is cubed)
- 1 tomato- cubed
- 2 cloves
- Cinnamon-a small stick
- 1 star anise
- 1 heaped tbsp ginger- chopped fine
- 7 cloves garlic
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 heaped tsp turmeric
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 cups +1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup garden peas
- Salt-to taste
- In a pressure cooker, add 1 tsp of coconut oil, add cloves, cinnamon, star anise, once they turn brown, add cubed onion, chilies, ginger, garlic and wait until onions turn translucent, then add tomatoes, mint and coriander leaves and wait until they wilt, add coconut, toss them together. Transfer to a food process and make a curry paste. You could use 1/4 cup of water here to process the mixture.
- Back in the same pressure, add remaining 1 tsp oil, add cumin seeds, then add remaining sliced onions and fry until brown. Add tomatoes and fry until mushy. Add the curry paste, rice, garden peas, remaining 2 cups water and salt, wait for 3 outbursts and let it sit 5 mins on low heat, remove from heat.
- Wait until the pressure in cooker has fizzled out and then, open. Serve with any curry of your choice.
- You could cook the same in a stockpot. Cover and cook until the rice is all fluffed up.