Don't be intimidated — these are the easiest homemade roasts you'll ever make. The savory bread stuffing in this recipe requires no pre-cooking at all, nor does the gravy, which takes only a minute of your time. Once everything is prepped, you just pop it in the oven and let the magic happen.
Mini Stuffed Seitan Roasts With Instant Mushroom Gravy [Vegan]
For the Stuffing:
- 3 slices bread toasted
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, dried
- 1/4 cup scallions/shallots finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or dried herbs of choice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
For the Roast (Dry Ingredients):
- 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules or dried onion flakes
For the Roast (Wet Ingredients):
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 small handful parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse Celtic sea salt, or to taste
For the Gravy:
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tamari, soy sauce, or coconut aminos, to make it soy-free
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 6 large portobello mushroom caps, sliced
To Make the Stuffing:
- Cut toasted bread into over-sized thumb-sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the vegetable broth.
- Add half of the vegetable broth and stir everything together till well combined.
- Add remaining vegetable broth and stir again until well combined. Set aside while you prepare your gravy and roast dough.
To Make the Roasts:
- Put all of the "dry" roasts ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir with a spoon or whisk until well combined.
- Place all of the "wet" roasts ingredients in a food processor and pulse about 10-20 times until moist, but slightly chunky.
- Pour wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir together to combine. Use your hands if you need to combine all of the ingredients together into a stringy yet fairly firm dough ball.
- Divide the dough in half and place half of the dough onto some non-stick parchment paper and shape into a rectangular shape.
- Place half of your stuffing mixture, along one part of the long edge and use your parchment paper to roll it up into a long roast shape. Carefully cut in half and set aside while you do the same again with the remaining dough and stuffing.
- Set aside on some non-stick parchment paper while you move on to the next stage.
To Make the Gravy and To Serve:
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- In a large baking dish, add all of your gravy ingredients except the mushrooms. Using a whisk or fork, give everything a good stir through and make sure that there are no bits of lumpy flour.
- Evenly spread your mushrooms over the gravy liquid.
- Place your mini roasts on top and tightly cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Carefully remove the foil and place back in oven without foil for another 15 minutes. Then remove from oven and serve.