Banoffee pie is a classic dessert that combines banana, toffee, chocolate, and cream for a ridiculously rich treat. This recipe is a great vegan alternative that is light and fresh and won't leave you feeling bloated! Substituting toffee for a caramel made up of dates and bananas lets you indulge without guilt and without sacrificing flavor!
Mini Banoffee Pies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Base:
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 cups gluten-free oats
- 2 teaspoons maca powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup dates
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts
For the Chocolate Layer:
- 2 tablespoons cacao butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut nectar
- 1 pinch sea salt
For the Caramel:
- 1 1/2 cup dates
- 1/4 cup hulled tahini or almond butter
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 1/2 bananas
For the Cream:
- 27 ounces coconut cream, top cream only
For the Topping:
- 1 3/4 ounces dark chocolate
To Make the Base:
- Blend chia seeds to a flour, then add oats and blend again to a flour. Add all other ingredients except walnuts and blend until sticky, then add walnuts and pulse on low until roughly chopped but still with some texture.
- Line a muffin tray with plastic wrap, wetting the tray slightly to help it stick, then place 3-4 tablespoons of mixture in each casing. Press carefully to create 10 pie bases.
To Make the Chocolate Layer:
- Melt cacao butter, then whisk in remaining ingredients, and pour 1/2 teaspoon of chocolate sauce inside each pie base, spreading out flat. Place in refrigerator to set.
To Make the Caramel:
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until super smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides if needed.
- Pour a few tablespoons into each pie case, using a spoon to swirl the caramel into place. Place in freezer to set.
To Make the Bananas and Cream:
- Take the top cream layer off two cans of coconut cream, and whisk in a bowl with a fork until thick and fluffy.
- Slice bananas thinly on an angle, and place banana slices concentrically on each pie, then top with a dollop of cream on each.
To Make the Topping:
- Slice a bar of dark chocolate into flakes, and sprinkle a few on the top of the cream. Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour preferably 2-3 for all the layers to set together.