Simple, creamy, and sugar-free (but sweet) vegan millet porridge with coconut milk & banana. Basis recipe with millet breakfast porridge variations.
Millet Porridge [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Millet Porridge [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup millet *) (have a look at the last paragraph, question "which millet for porridge")
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 banana
How to Prepare Millet Porridge [Vegan]
- Ideally, rinse the millet and soak it in water overnight before processing.
- Put the water and coconut milk in a saucepan, add the millet and cinnamon and bring to the boil.
- Let simmer uncovered on low to medium heat for about 10 minutes. Stir in between so that nothing burns.
- Then switch off the stove, but leave the millet to swell for another 10 minutes. Now the excess liquid is sucked up, and you will soon have a creamy result. If you have a gas stove where the stove doesn't stay hot forever, let the millet cook a few minutes longer.
- Mash a banana with a fork and stir it into your porridge.
: Feel free to add cardamom, turmeric, cinnamon – golden milk style. Or with grated tonka bean, or vanilla. Fruit: Feel free to use whatever fruit you like! If you use bananas, you can with mash them into the porridge or caramelize them and add them on top of the porridge. You can get creative and use a fruit puree, or even add a bit of grated lemon into it! Grains: You can substitute a small portion of the millet with another grain like oats, buckwheat, amaranth, or quinoa for an even more diverse nutrient profile. You can also add nut butter, protein powder, or even chia or hemp seeds to this porridge, as well!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.