Sturdy vegetables, like the bell pepper, are perfect food vessels for all sorts deliciousness. In this particular dish, bright bell peppers are stuffed with zesty Mexican-style quinoa and topped with a tangy-tart avocado sauce. Fun and filling!
Mexican Quinoa-Stuffed Bell Peppers [Vegan]
- 5 bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup diced tomato, canned
- 1 cup bell peppers, finely diced
- 1/2 cup green chilis
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- A dash of cayenne (optional)
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 of 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Make quinoa with onion, tomatoes, chilis, salt, paprika, chipotle, and cayenne.
- Preheat oven to 415ºF.
- Cut off the tops of each bell pepper and remove seeds and ribs. Cut up what is left over from the tops of each pepper. Finely dice and mix into quinoa.
- Stuff each pepper with the cooked quinoa mixture.
- While the peppers are baking, mix up the sauce. In a blender or food processor, add avocado, lemon juice, cilantro, vegan mayonnaise, nutritional yeast, and sea salt.
- Bake on a foil-lined baking sheet for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro, sauce, and leftover bell peppers.