Jackfruit is a wonderful catch-all substitute for any type of recipe that would call for shredded meat, like in these pulled jackfruit tacos. The fruit itself has a mild, slightly sweet flavor that soaks up any spices you throw its way. In this recipe, jackfruit is cooked with garlic and onions to build a savory base, then combined with tomatoes and broth to make it tender, and finally, warm spices. Topped with tangy pickled red onions, these tacos are an easy weeknight dinner or party dish.
Mexican Pulled Jackfruit Tacos [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Mexican Pulled Jackfruit Tacos [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tacos:
- 2 20-ounce cans of jackfruit packed in brine or water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced in half-moons
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 14.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chipotle paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt, to taste
- A pinch of chili powder (optional)
For the Pickled Onions
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced in half-moons
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 8 mini tortillas, store-bought or homemade (gluten-free if necessary)
- Fresh coriander
- Lime wedges
How to Prepare Mexican Pulled Jackfruit Tacos [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Pickled Onions:
- Add all the ingredients apart from the onion to a pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the onion and quickly boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat. Once the onion has cooled slightly, transfer to a glass bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
To Make the Tacos:
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit thoroughly. Using two forks, shred the jackfruit so the stringy bits come away from the tougher core. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions with a pinch of salt and cook until translucent, around 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and continue to cook for around 1-2 minutes, making sure not to let the garlic burn.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the lime juice. Bring everything up to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover, cooking for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook until the sauce has reduced and thickened, around 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the lime juice.
- Serve the pulled jackfruit with warm tortillas, guacamole, pickled onion, coriander, and salsa.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 214 | Carbs: 40 g | Fat: 4 g | Protein: 5 g | Sodium: 627 mg | Sugar: 7 g Calculation not including guacamole or tacos.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.