Celebrate pizza night with this Mexican-style pizzas. They're a delicious combination of everything you would put in a taco, only on pizza dough. Starting with the tomato salsa pizza base, this pizza tastes like a dream. Charred corn, endless avocado, gooey vegan cheese, and fresh coriander ... could it get any better?
Mexican Pizza [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 .25-ounce sachet of dried yeast
- 2 1/5 cups of bread flour, extra for dusting
- 3/4 cup of lukewarm water
- A generous pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
For the Salsa Pizza Sauce:
- 1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium-sized tomato, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 1 1/4 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 onion, roughly chopped
- A handful of coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Lime juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/2 bird's eye chili, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Toppings:
- Grilled corn
- Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Black or kidney beans
- Vegan cheese
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- A few cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh coriander
To Make the Pizza Crust:
- Add the yeast, sugar, and salt to the lukewarm water, then continue adding flour until the mixture comes together. Turn the dough out on a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes, until smooth and until the dough springs back when poked.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap, and leave to rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size.
To Make the Salsa Pizza Sauce:
- Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse a couple of times. You want it a bit chunky. Taste and adjust seasoning.
To Prepare the Pizza:
- Divide the pizza dough and roll out into your desired pizza shape. Place salsa pizza sauce and toppings, except for the beans, avocado, and coriander, on top and bake at 445°F, until golden.
- Sprinkle the pizza with the remaining toppings, slice, and serve.