This recipe is great because it’s so versatile! The savory mixture of chard, onions, and zucchinis are slowly simmered with a bold bouquet of chile and garlic and the end result is a hearty vegetable compote that can be served alongside your choice of starch.
Mediterranean-Style Rainbow Chard [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium sized zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1 big bunch rainbow chard, washed and roughly chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 heaped tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 small chili without seeds if it's too hot (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan over low-medium heat, add the oil and onion and cook it until it’s lightly browned.
- Add in the zucchini and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the rainbow chard and mix. With the lid on cook for a further 5 minutes until the chard has softened a little.
- In the meantime, place the garlic, canned tomato, tomato paste and chili in a blender and blend for about 15-20 seconds. Make sure that the garlic and chili have incorporated well.
- Pour the tomato mixture in and stir everything well.
- Place the lid on top and cook it down for 10-15 minutes. Make sure you stir it every minute or so and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve it over rice or with pasta.