Finally, a potato salad recipe with zero oil and zero vegan mayo. This creamy and delicious salad is perfect at any time of the year. Get your protein on with the cashew based dressing and share it with the whole family!
Mayonnaise-Free Potato Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Salad:
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup red or yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
To Make the Dressing:
- 1 cup cashews soaked in water for at least 10 minutes
- 2 dates be sure to take the pit out, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup water
- Add the quartered potatoes to a large pot and completely cover them with water by 1 or 2 inches. Place a lid on the pot at an angle and cook for 25 minutes or until you can pierce them with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes and set them aside to cool.
- Make the dressing by draining and rinsing the cashews and placing them into the blender along with the rest of the dressing ingredients (dates - make sure to drain the water and remove the pit before adding the dates to the blender - garlic, mustard, nutritional yeast, salt, apple cider vinegar, and water).
- Blend until totally creamy and smooth, about a minute. Set aside for now.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them into bite-sized pieces and place them into a large mixing bowl and add the celery, onion, parsley, dill, and all of the dressing.
- Gently stir until everything is combined and add salt and pepper to taste.