Masaledar Sem is an Indian-spiced green bean dish perfect for late summer or early fall. It starts with chile, spices, and a ginger garlic paste. I'm pretty sure anything that starts with a ginger garlic paste will be awesome. The smell alone is so amazing that it might temporarily make you forget what you were doing!
Masaledar Sem (Spicy Green Beans) [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Masaledar Sem (Spicy Green Beans) [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, washed, trimmed, and cut into half-inch or so pieces
- 1 piece of fresh ginger, about 1 1/2 inches long and 1 inch thick
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup water plus more water as needed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or more water)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- Couple of pinches of crushed red pepper flakes (use to your liking)
- 2 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (I used heirloom tomatoes and I highly recommend it)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 lemon
How to Prepare Masaledar Sem (Spicy Green Beans) [Vegan]
- Peel the ginger and roughly chop it. Add the ginger and garlic along with 1/2 cup of water to a blender or food processor and blend until a fairly smooth paste forms.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium. Once it is hot, add the cumin and crushed red pepper flakes and toast for about 10 seconds.
- Next, add the ginger garlic paste, stir, and continue to cook for about a minute. Add the coriander, stir it in, then add the chopped tomatoes. Stir and cook the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes, gently mashing them up as you go.
- Add the green beans, a bit of salt to taste, and a bit of water (1/2 cup or so). Bring the beans to a simmer, then cover and cook on low for 8-10 minutes until the beans are just tender.
- Remove the cover, and stir in the cardamom and the juice of half a lemon. Taste and adjust with salt and pepper as needed.
Optional: serve with cooked tofu and your favorite grain to make a more substantial meal.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.