Delicious maple carrot muffins with a sweet streusel topping. These muffins are lightly sweetened with maple syrup and are perfectly moist thanks to carrots and applesauce. They also happen to be vegan!
Maple Carrot Muffins with Streusel Topping [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Maple Carrot Muffins with Streusel Topping [Vegan]
For the Muffins:
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (white or whole wheat), spoon and level
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon (pinch) nutmeg, ground
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and finely shredded (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil or light tasting oil
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk (I tried soy and oat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Streusel Topping (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (white or whole wheat)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
How to Prepare Maple Carrot Muffins with Streusel Topping [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a muffin pan (this recipe makes 9 muffins, but you can use a 12 muffin pan). Set aside.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Add all the wet ingredients in a different medium mixing bowl. Whisk together until combined.
- Transfer the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined.
- Don't overmix. Mix until there are no big pockets of flour remaining. The mixture will be thick.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffins tins. Set aside.
- Prepare the streusel (if using): In a small bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon together. Add the cold vegan butter and using a fork, cut the butter into the dry mixture until you get a slightly wet, small crumble.
- Sprinkle the streusel on top of the unbaked muffins. You don't need to use all the streusel.
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes at 350°F.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes (this avoids crumbling). Once completely cooled, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4-5 days. They're best served fresh.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.