We need to have a bit of sweetness sometimes and this vegan Maple Almond Coffee Cake is what we’re talking about!
Maple Almond Coffee Cake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Maple Almond Coffee Cake [Vegan]
Coffee Cake Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon organic baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon organic baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup cane sugar
Coffee Cake Wet Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk (soy works best)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup strong coffee or espresso
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to Prepare Maple Almond Coffee Cake [Vegan]
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F with rack in the middle of the oven.
- Add cider vinegar to plant-based milk (soy), stir to combine and thicken and let rest while preparing dry ingredients.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine applesauce, coffee and melted coconut oil with the soy milk.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until combined ONLY once oven has pre-heated. If using organic baking powder, it is only single-acting (activated by moisture) rather than double-acting (also activated by heat). You will want to place the loaf pan in the oven as soon as you have mixed the wet and dry ingredients to avoid the bubbles from escaping before the cake has started to bake!
- Add the mixed batter to a parchment-lined loaf pan and place in the oven to bake straight away.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until an inserted wooden skewer or toothpick is removed cleanly.
- Let cake cool completely before icing.
- Soak raw cashews for 2 to 3 hours in room temperature water or an hour in hot water from the kettle.
- Combine cashews, maple syrup, plant-based milk and vanilla extract in a high-speed blender and blend until creamy. This frosting can be placed in the refrigerator until the cake has cooled and is ready to frost.
- Cover top of coffee cake with frosting and garnish with sliced or slivered almonds and enjoy fresh!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.