Waking up to these pancakes is a real treat. Sweet and fluffy, they're almost more of a dessert than a breakfast food!
Malted Plantain Pancakes [Vegan]
- 1 ripe plantain
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 tablespoons barley malt extract, plus extra for garnishing
- Lemon juice, for topping
- Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until you have a smooth batter.
- Fry the pancakes in a lightly greased frying pan on low heat. Wait for holes to appear on the top and for the underside to turn brown before flipping over. This bit requires patience (but it is soo worth it!) Flip it over too quickly and the pancake may not hold its nice round shape. Top with lemon juice and more barley malt extract.
To make this recipe gluten free, simply use gluten-free self raising flour or coconut flour.