This recipe for macadamia nut cheese is a must-try.This cheese is perfect for a fruit and jam cheese plate, topped with a chipotle pineapple salsa and served with some chips, it's perfect. The texture is light and easily spreadable and it has a touch of sweetness but is savory in all the right ways.
Macadamia Nut Queso Fresco [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Macadamia Nut Queso Fresco [Vegan]
For the Queso Fresco:
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1 garlic, clove, peeled
- 1 teaspoon lime juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 piece cheesecloth
For the Chipotle-Pineapple Salsa:
- 1 large tomato
- 1/4 white onion
- 1 garlic clove, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup pineapple, chopped
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
How to Prepare Macadamia Nut Queso Fresco [Vegan]
For the Queso Fresco:
- Soak the macadamias in water at room temperature overnight. The following day, drain the nuts and place in a food processor with the garlic, lime juice, oil, water, and salt.
- Process 1-2 minutes, or until the nuts turn into a paste that resembles ricotta cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Wet a large piece of cheesecloth, approximately 12x12-inches in size. Place the paste in the center and a form it into a ball by gathering the edges of the cheesecloth around the cheese.
- Twist the top edges of the cheesecloth to tighten, give shape, and get rid of excess water in the cheese. Place the cheese bundle on a plate and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day, unwrap your cheese and serve.
To Make the Salsa:
- Boil water in a small saucepan. Drop the tomato in and lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until the tomato begins to soften.
- While the tomato is simmering, set a large sauté pan to medium-high heat. Place the onion and garlic in the pan and let the high heat char them for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan, peel the garlic, and place them both in the blender.
- Remove the tomato from the water and add to the blender. Add the chipotle, cilantro, and pineapple to the blender and process until you reach the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
If you cannot easily find raw macadamia nuts, you can substitute with blanched almonds.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1158 | Total Carbs: 33 g | Total Fat: 116 g | Total Protein: 13 g | Total Sodium: 1135 g | Total Sugar: 15 g Calculation including salsa.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.