Macaroni pie is a Scottish delicacy that consists of a crisp, crumbly pastry crust that's filled with macaroni and cheese. This dairy-free version recreates it perfectly, from the crust to the gooey, cheesy mac and cheese filling. There's something otherworldly about the way these things come together, so much that you'll probably be left speechless when you take your first bite. You can make one large pie for this recipe or several small ones, if you're looking to make a shareable appetizer.
Mac and Cheese Pies [Vegan]
For the Filling:
- 4 1/4 cups soy milk
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and halved
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 10.5 ounces dried macaroni
- 7 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons strong mustard
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast (or more, to taste)
- 1 1/4 cup meltable vegan cheese, grated
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
For the Crust:
- 3 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup water, plus more as needed
- A pinch of salt
- Prep seven small springform pans or one large springform pan.
- Place the onion halves, garlic, and bay leaves into a saucepan along with the soy milk. Set this aside while you make the pasta.
- Cook the macaroni until soft, as normal.
- Place the pan with the milk, onion, garlic, and bay leaves over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil, simmer for a minute or two, then turn the heat off and pick or sieve out the onion, garlic, and bay leaves.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add in the flour, stirring as you do, until a paste (roux) forms. Then, pour in the hot milk, a little at a time, whisking constantly. Bring the whole mixture to the boil, then turn down the heat. Stir in the nutritional yeast, the cheese, and the mustard, and simmer for a few minutes, till thickened. Season to taste, and add more cheese or nooch as you like.
- Add the macaroni to the cheese sauce, and combine well. Set this aside while you make the pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F.
- Mix the salt into the flour in a large mixing bowl. Place the butter and water in a saucepan and heat until the butter is melted and just about boiling.
- Make a well in the flour and pour in the butter and water mixture, stirring in the flour as you do. When mostly combined, work the dough with your hands, bringing it together into a ball; add a little extra hot water if the dough is too dry to work, or more flour if it's too wet. Knead until smooth, then set aside until just about cool to the touch.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface into an even circle large enough to fully line the bottom and sides of your pans (or pan). Make sure there are no holes. Trim any excess from the top, then fill with the macaroni.
- Bake in the oven until golden-brown on top.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Cheesy Recipes