Lotus root, or the rhizome of the lotus flower, is a root vegetable used in many Asian cuisines. It provides a crisp bite with sweet and savory flavors and has many health benefits as well. If you like spicy food, add either a few Thai chile peppers (pounded) or a few drops of chile garlic oil at the end.
Lotus Root Tom Yum Soup (Tom Yum Raak Bue) [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Lotus Root Tom Yum Soup (Tom Yum Raak Bue) [Vegan]
- 4 cups (960 ml) water
- 2" (5-cm) piece galangal, sliced into thin rounds
- 4 stalks lemongrass, cut into 1" (2.5-cm) lengths
- 10 grape tomatoes
- 8 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 small lotus root (about 1 lb [454 g]), peeled and cut into 1/4" (6-mm)-thick rounds
- 8 button mushrooms, halved
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) thin soy sauce or tamari
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) lime juice, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) Thai Home brand vegan Thai sweet chili paste (nam prik pao)
- 5 fresh Thai chiles, chopped, plus 2 chiles, hand-pounded, for garnish
- 1/2 cup (8 g) chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lime, cut into wedges
How to Prepare Lotus Root Tom Yum Soup (Tom Yum Raak Bue) [Vegan]
- Place the water in a large pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the galangal, lemongrass, grape tomatoes, lime leaves and lotus root.
- Boil for about 10 minutes or until the herbs release their flavor and the water turns light green. Add the mushrooms and boil for 3 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the soy sauce, lime juice, chili paste and chiles. The flavor should be spicy and sour. If you like it more sour, add more lime juice as needed.
- Garnish with the cilantro, pounded chiles and lime wedges.
- Remember that you don’t eat the lemongrass, galangal or lime leaves, but they remain in the soup for herbal flavor.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.