Wholesome, hearty, and creamy — this soup has it all. It's chock-full of broccoli, potatoes, carrots, and kale and made creamy by blending raw cashews and almond milk. This chowder is nothing to sniff at; it's a worthy dinner that'll leave you satisfied.
Loaded Vegetable Chowder [Vegan]
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seed oil, or other high-heat oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- A big pinch of salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli, roughly chopped
- 2 cups baby potatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups kale, stemmed and chopped
- A handful of fresh chives
- Drain the cashews. In a blender add the cashews and almond milk, pulse until smooth and creamy, set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrots to the pot with a big pinch of salt and sauté until soft and translucent, about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the broccoli and potatoes to the pot and stir to coat in the oil. Sprinkle the flour, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper into the pot (along with some vegetable broth, if needed) and stir to coat the veggies.
- Immediately following, slowly pour in the almond milk, vegetable broth, wine, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, lower the heat to simmer. Let the chowder cook and bubble until the potatoes and broccoli are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the cashew cream and simmer 5 more minutes until thickened. Add the peas and kale. Cook until the kale is wilted.
- Stir in some fresh chives and serve.