Turnip cake, also known as radish cake or lo bak gou, is a savory steamed traditional Cantonese snack often found in Chinese dim sum restaurants. Loaded with shredded turnip, steamed, and pan-fried until crispy golden brown. Garnished with fresh cilantro and served with soy sauce and chili, this turnip cake is a delicious, savory delight!
Lo Bak Gou: Cantonese Turnip Cake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Lo Bak Gou: Cantonese Turnip Cake [Vegan]
For the Turnip Cakes:
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and grated
- Pepper and salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Shiitake mushroom seasoning
- Sesame oil
- 1 pound rice flour
- 7 cups water
For the Dipping Sauce:
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
How to Prepare Lo Bak Gou: Cantonese Turnip Cake [Vegan]
- Add the oil into a wok.
- Add the grated turnip, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper, 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, and shiitake mushroom seasoning, and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Dish onto plate and set aside.
- In a deep pan at medium heat, add 7 cups of water with 1 bag of rice flour and mix thoroughly.
- Add and stir the fried turnip. Slowly stir, until the mixture gets thick, then turn off heat.
- Cover a stainless steel dish with cling wrap.
- Transfer into the dish and cover the top with a cling wrap.
- Steam for 30 minutes, then leave to cool completely.
- Slice and pan fry with oil at medium heat, until golden brown.
- Serve immediately and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Rice Flour
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 2065 | Total Carbs: 395 g | Total Fat: 34 g | Total Protein: 34 g | Total Sodium: 37 g | Total Sugar: 3284 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.