Creamy homemade tomato sauce is one of my all-time favorite things to make. The natural earthy flavor of the lentils pairs so nicely with the sweet, creamy flavor of the tomato sauce. If you love a little bit of heat, the addition of the jalapeno and garlic rounds off the dish. I hope you enjoy every bite of this tremendously healthy and ultra-delicious dish!
Lentils in a Creamy Homemade Tomato Sauce [Vegan]
- 2 cups cooked or canned green lentils, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes with basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- If using dried lentils, cook according to package instructions, drain and set aside. For canned lentils rinse with water and drain.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat add ½ tsp. extra virgin olive oil. Add diced shallots and jalapeno (optional). Season with a pinch of salt and pepper (about 1/8 tsp. of each).
- Sauté approximately 5 minutes until translucent.
- While shallots are sautéing make cashew cream by combing cashews and ½ cup water in a high powered blender, blend for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Turn heat to medium-low, add crushed tomatoes, ½ tsp. extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, cashew cream, 1 tsp. sea salt and ½ tsp. pepper, stir. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add lentils to homemade tomato sauce. Stir and heat until warmed through.
- Taste and season, if needed.