If you're looking for an effortless meal that doesn't disappoint, then you have to make this veggie loaf. What makes this meaty dish so wonderful is not only its heartiness but also its versatility. You can pack it with whatever vegetables you want and still achieve something delicious. It's topped with a spicy homemade barbecue sauce for extra flavor.
Lentil Veggie Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Lentil Loaf:
- 2 cups cooked green lentils, cooled and split into 1 1/2 cups and 1/2 cup
- 2 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, plus 3 tablespoons water per “egg”)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats, split in half
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 3/4 cup spicy vegan BBQ sauce (recipe below)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs or gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup unflavored soy or almond milk
- 3 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 sprigs parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
For the Spicy BBQ Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized sweet onion, chopped finely
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (less if you don’t like it spicy)
- 16 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Siracha
- 3 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup water
To Make the Lentil Loaf:
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Make the flax egg by combining the ground flaxseed with the water and letting it sit for a few minutes, until gooey.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the diced onion and minced garlic and sauté for 5-8 minutes until the onions are tender. Add the diced carrot and celery and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until tender. Add all seasoning up to BBQ sauce. Add in 1/2 cup of the BBQ sauce, stir to combine and turn off the heat, add salt and pepper, to taste if needed.
- Process 1 1/2 cups of the cooked lentils and 1/2 cup of the oats in the food processor until smooth. Spoon the mixture into a large bowl, add in the remaining lentils and oats, plus the flax egg, almond flour, and vegetables. Add all remaining ingredients after vegetables. Stir really well to combine. With your hands combine the mixture.
- Once combined add the mixture into a parchment paper-lined 9x5-inch loaf pan leaving some covering the edges for easy removal.
- Press the mixture into the pan and brush on 1/4 cup or more of the BBQ sauce on top.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes at 375ºF. Cool in the pan for about 5, pull the loaf out by grabbing the sides of the parchment paper and lifting up and allow it to cool for another 5 to 10 minutes on a cooking rack. Slice and serve.
To Make the BBQ Sauce:
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion in oil over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients to the pan, whisk to combine, and cook for about 30 minutes, uncovered, over low heat. Stir occasionally and make sure it doesn't burn.
- For more tanginess add additional apple cider vinegar. For more sweetness, add more brown sugar. Remove from heat and let cool.