This is a super easy recipe that you can make ahead and even freeze this weekend before your gathering. Partner it with some roasted vegetables or favorite veggie sides and you’re good. Leftovers are heavenly and perfect for a quick lunch idea. You can substitute in vegetables you love or have on hand or remove if you chose — it’s super forgiving. This dish is also packed with protein, thanks to the lentils, and all those veggies… hello fiber! If your goal is to have some healthy options for dinner – consider this recipe for sure.
Lentil Vegetable Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Lentil Vegetable Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 bell pepper (any color would suffice)
- 1 large portabello mushroom (cleaned, stemmed and diced)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded or not depending on your spice preference
- 2 cups cooked French lentils
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ground black or white pepper
How to Prepare Lentil Vegetable Loaf [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Spray a loaf pan with some olive oil or line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a sauté pan, over medium flame, heat olive oil.
- Once hot, saute onion, carrots, and pepper. Cook 4 minutes.
- Then add your mushroom, garlic, and jalapeño. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Into your food processor, add your cooked ingredients, lentils, paste, oats, crumbs, flax, and seasonings.
- Pulse 8-12 times or until a chunky consistency remains. Avoid over-processing.
- Spoon out the mixture into your prepared bread or sheet pan.
- Shape in a meatloaf style or a flatter meatloaf type of shape. Bake for 45 minutes.
Knowing that many like ketchup on top of meatloaf, feel free to spread some on top at the 30 minutes mark with a sprinkle of coconut sugar but this is totally optional. Bake for an additional 15 till you bake for a total of 45 minutes. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes prior to slicing (optional).
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.