The season of outdoor and BBQ dining is in a full swift. This yummy and super healthy Lentil – Quinoa Burger is for those of you who prefer to make veggie burgers at home from scratch.
Lentil Quinoa Burger [Vegan]
- 1 cup of lentils, preferably Spanish brown
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of quinoa flakes
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1 onion medium, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil for frying or oil of your choice
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flaxseed meal mixed with 5 tablespoons water)
- 1/4 cup tamari
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Large onion cut into rings for grilling
- Rinse your lentils thoroughly and cook in 2 cups of water on low heat, until all water evaporates. Cook under the lid and be careful not to burn.
- In the meantime, sauté mushrooms, onion and garlic with black pepper until golden brown.
- In a small dish, prepare your flax seed egg and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- When ready, transfer the cooked lentils into a bowl and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly and cover the bowl with plastic wrap or lid and place it into a refrigerator for at least one hour.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 400F°, 200C°.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and create about ½ cup size patties using.
- Arrange them with on your baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20min.
- In the meantime, you may grill your onion on each side on with a pinch of pepper and pink salt.
- Serve with your favorite condiments and veggies.
- You can also try grilling your burgers on a grill whether charcoal or electric, although I have not tried that.