If you’re looking to quench your cravings for meatloaf or simply need an effortless, nutrient-dense recipe that doesn’t disappoint, you need to try out this lentil loaf and celery root mash. Lentils can have the same hearty texture as meat and are perfect for recreating classic umami flavors. For a healthier alternative to mashed potatoes, this recipe uses celery root! When mashed, it is starchy and fluffy- just like the cozy mashed potatoes you grew up with.
Lentil Loaf With Celery Root Mash [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Lentil Loaf:
- 2 cups cooked green lentils, cooled and split into 1 1/2 cups and 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats, split in half
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 sprigs thyme
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized sweet onion, chopped finely
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (less if you don’t like it spicy)
- 16 ounces tomato paste
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup tamari
- 1 cup water
For the Celery Root Mash:
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the minced garlic and sauté for 2 minutes until translucent. Add onion and cook for 5-8 minutes until tender. Add in the diced carrot and celery and cook for an additional 5 minutes until tender. Add thyme, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat.
- To make the BBQ sauce, in a large saucepan, add oil and sauté the garlic for two minutes. Then, add the onion and sauté for about 5-7 minutes. Add in the rest of the ingredients to the pan, whisk to combine, and cook for about 30 minutes uncovered over low heat. Stir occasionally and make sure it doesn't burn. For more tanginess, add additional apple cider vinegar. For more sweetness, add more maple syrup. Remove from heat and let cool. You can place in a food processor, but it isn't needed.
- In a food processor add the oats and pulse. Process 1 1/2 cups of the cooked lentils and 1/2 cup of the celery/carrot mix in the food processor. Pulse until smooth. Spoon the mixture into a large bowl, add in the remaining lentils, veggies, and 1/2 cup BBQ sauce. Stir really well to combine. With your hands combine the mixture. Once combined add the mixture into a parchment paper lined 9x5-inch loaf pan leaving some covering the edges for easy removal.
- Press the mixture into the pan and brush on 1/4 cup or more of the BBQ sauce on top. Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes at 375ºF. Cool in the pan for about 5, pull the loaf out by grabbing the sides of the parchment paper and lifting up and allow it to cool for another 5 to 10 minutes on a cooking rack. Slice and serve.
- To make the celery root mash, peel celery root bulbs so that only white remains. Chop into cubes. Boil in hot water until fork tender. Throw in a blend with the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth. If too smooth, throw in the oven on 350ºF for 15 minutes to thicken.