These hearty veggie patties are a little different to most veggie patties that you would put in a burger. Made from lentils, brown rice, and vegetables like zucchini and carrot, these crisp patties are perfect with a side of mashed root vegetables and a side salad. They are filling, nourishing, and easily made gluten-free if you use gluten-free bread crumbs.
Lentil and Brown Rice Patties [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 small onion
- 1 zucchini
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs ( use gluten-free if necessary), plus extra for rolling
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons mixed Italian herbs or to taste
- Sunflower oil
- Cook lentils according to package directions in water with a little dry vegetable stock.
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Finely chop your onion. Trim and grate your carrot and zucchini.
- Fry off your onion in a little sunflower oil until lightly browned then add your grated carrot and zucchini and cook for 5-10 minutes on medium heat until the vegetables have softened. You can add a tablespoon of water to help.
- In a large bowl combine your cooked brown rice, cooked lentils, cooked vegetable mixture, bread crumbs, and mixed seasoning. Season with lots of salt and pepper.
- Mix well until well combined and start to form your patties. Form large balls and then flatten them slightly in between your palms. You can make them any size you want, but it is recommended that you keep them small to medium, as the larger ones do not hold together as well.
- Coat in extra bread crumbs on each side.
- Place your patties on a baking tray greased with a little sunflower oil. Brush each patty with a little sunflower oil or alternatively use an oil spray.
- Bake at 390°F for about 20-30 minutes.
- You can also fry your patties for about 30 seconds on each side in a little oil, they soak up lots more oil this way but both versions are delicious.