If you're intimidated by the idea of making bread, then this flatbread is a good place to get started. This bread is pretty low fuss and great to serve up with soup or on a platter of food, not to mention, pretty fun to make,and it requires little kneading. The rich roasted garlic works perfectly with the lemon thyme and olive oil, forming a delicious combination.
Lemon Thyme and Roasted Garlic Flatbreads [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, plus some for dusting
- 3/4 cup plain soy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch sea salt
- 4 large cloves unpeeled garlic
- Handful lemon thyme sprigs
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 390°F.
- Roast the unpeeled garlic cloves in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, knead together for a few minutes, and place to one side.
- Next, remove the thyme from its stalk by running your fingers down the stem and place it in a small bowl, along with the olive oil. Remove the garlic from the oven (but leave the oven on for later) and crush into the same bowl, stirring all the ingredients together.
- Dust the work surface lightly with flour and pat the dough out until less than 1/4-inch thick and cut into 8 roughly equal size pieces.
- Heat the griddle pan to the highest heat and transfer 4 of the dough pieces to the pan, grill for 2 minutes on each side, and transfer to the baking tray, repeat with the rest of the dough, and bake the flatbreads for 5-10 minutes until fluffy and fully cooked through. Brush with the herb oil mixture, sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt, and serve with soup or as a side dish.