These hearty quinoa bars are a unique take on the traditional lemon and poppy seed combination. They are bursting with the zing of lemon, studded with crunchy poppy seeds, and filled with the protein packed goodness of quinoa! Take a bite and you’ve got sweet, crunch, zing, and chew all combined together.
Lemon Poppy Seed Quinoa Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Lemon Poppy Seed Quinoa Bars (Wet Ingredients):
- 2 ripe medium-sized bananas
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax and 6 tablespoons warm water)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Lemon Poppy Seed Quinoa Bars (Dry Ingredients):
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Zest of one lemon
- Pinch of salt
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon plant-based milk, unsweetened
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest, optional
To Make the Lemon Poppy Seed Quinoa Bars:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For the flax eggs, stir together 2 tablespoons of ground flax and 6 tablespoons of warm water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.
- In a large bowl, begin by mashing the bananas. Add melted coconut and sugar to bananas and stir to combine.
- Add in flax eggs, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and stir once more.
- To the wet mixture, add in the oats, cooked quinoa, poppy seeds, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir all ingredients until fully combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until top is firm when pressed.
- Allow to cool completely before glazing.
To Make the Lemon Glaze:
- In a small bowl, combine all glaze ingredients together and stir to combine.
- Add a little more sugar or more milk if you want your glaze thicker or thinner.
- Drizzle over cooled bars.
- Cut into 9 squares.