This recipe is a mouthwatering plant-based soup that will fill your soul in the best possible way. It is protein-packed, SUPER low in fat, easy-to-make, and so delicious to enjoy on a chilly autumn evening.
Lemon Lentil Turnip Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups turnips, peeled and diced into cubes
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 turns black pepper
- Prep and measure out all the ingredients and set them aside. Heat a large pot over medium heat for about 2 minutes and add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot. Add a splash of water to keep things from sticking if necessary.
- Add the basil, oregano, dill, and turmeric and cook for 30 seconds, stirring continually.
- Add the turnips, spinach, tomatoes, bay leaf, and water and stir. Bring to just a boil, then lower the heat and partially cover pot with lid.
- Simmer for 12 minutes, then add the lentils and simmer for 10 additional minutes, or until the turnips are tender. Do not over cook the turnips, as they can become bitter and mushy if overcooked.
- Turn off the heat and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and pepper.