My mouth is still watering from the smell and taste of the Lemon Glazed Ginger Tempeh I made the other night. It is crispy, flavorful and creates a delicious meal that is sure to wow you and your loved ones. My husband and I ate every last bite. With a special ingredient to enhance the flavor, this recipe is a for sure keeper! Plus it is easy to make and very healthy for you! The special ingredient? Shallots! Shallots are a good source of iron, fiber and potassium.
Lemon Glazed Ginger Tempeh With Brown Rice and Basil [Vegan]
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp freshly grated or chopped ginger
- 3 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 shallot – chopped finely
- 2 tbsp gluten free soy sauce (Tamari)
- 2 tbsp Goddess dressing
- 2 tbsp agave maple syrup (or agave, or maple)
- 1/2 tsp of ground coriander
- 1 package organic tempeh
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: add dash of chili powder and red pepper flakes for a kick!
- Get the rice started and prep the veggies. Place the ginger, garlic and shallot in a food processor and pulverize them.
- In that same container add the freshly squeezed lemon juice, soy sauce, goddess dressing, maple syrup, ground coriander and a dash of salt, pepper, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Mix together and set aside.
- Preheat a pan and fry the tempeh on each side. Opt to use olive oil, water or veggie broth whatever your heart desires.
- Once the tempeh is golden brown on each side, pour the lemon ginger mixture over the tempeh and saute for about 10-15 minutes constantly covering the tempeh in the sauce so it’s completely covered.
- Take the hot rice, pack it into a measuring cup and turn it over onto a plate. This will give the round circular appearance.
- Add the tempeh on either side with some fresh basil leaves. Wallah! Dinner for two!
For a variation try orange or grapefruit juice with fresh cilantro! Yum!