This salad is filling, seasonal, and so fresh tasting! It has healthy fats and protein from the pistachios that will keep you going for a while. It also has fresh mint and lemon juice that keeps it tasting light and fresh!
Lemon-Ginger Farro Salad With Pomegranate and Pistachios [Vegan]
6, 1 cup servings
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked farro or whole grain of choice
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons juice)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated gingerroot
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced, green and white parts separated
- 2/3 cup finely diced English cucumber
- 1/2 cup small fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup shelled salted roasted pistachios
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan over high heat, add the farro to 6 cups of cold (salted) water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer according to package directions or until tender. (Note: Time will vary.) Drain well of excess liquid through a fine mesh strainer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and zest, olive oil, and ginger. Add the cooked farro and white part of the scallions; stir to combine. Set aside to cool for about 30 minutes. Stir, then chill in the refrigerator until cool.
- To the chilled farro, stir in the cucumber, mint, green part of the scallions, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Transfer to salad bowls or plates, sprinkle with the pistachios and pomegranate arils and serve. (Hint: If you prefer a more comforting version, you can also sprinkle on some cashew cheese).