If you’re craving cheese, you gotta try this vegan cashew cheese recipe. It's perfect for sandwiches, crackers, and other cheesy delights! It's also super simple and can be whisked under an hour. You can slice it, grate it, and melt it! This cashew cheese is not only delicious, but also oil-free, soy-free, and made from seven all-natural ingredients.
Sliceable Cashew Cheese [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup raw cashews [Soaked overnight in a cup of water]
- 1 heaped Tbsp + 1.5 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic (you don’t want this to be a garlic cheese)
- 1.5 tsp starch of your choice (Tapioca/Arrowroot/Corn)
- 1.5 tsp agar agar powder
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp juice from lemon
- 1/2 cup +1/2 cup water
- Salt - to taste
- In a saucepan, mix agar agar in 1/2 cup water. Keep aside
- Discard the water from cashews. Rinse them really well. Add cashews to a food processor with nutritional yeast, garlic, starch, salt, lemon juice & 1/2 cup of water. Make a very very smooth paste.
- Add the cashew paste to agar agar mixture.
- Bring this to boil on a low-medium heat until it forms a thick pancake-batter consistency.
- Quickly transfer to ramekins. This quantity makes one full ramekin and another 1/2 ramekin sized vegan cheeses.
- Refrigerate for an hour. Carefully remove from the ramekin and enjoy your cashew cheese!
You could add a pinch of turmeric for a deep yellow color. Taste check the cashew paste. If you like it to be more tangy, feel free to increase the quantity of lemon juice. It will be a think ‘jelly’ consistency. Not as firm as normal cheese. However, you could hold and grate through a grater. Mine became a bit mushy. However, managed to pass through the sieve though. Tastes excellent with crackers