These vegan lemon baked donuts are full of delicious lemon flavor. They are fluffy, moist and the flavor is delicious - so fresh and citrusy. These donuts are baked and then covered in a tart lemon glaze, everything can be done in about 40 minutes.
Lemon Baked Donuts [Vegan]
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 flax egg
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 8 1/2-ounces icing sugar (for the glaze)
- 1/4 cup soy milk (for the glaze)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (for the glaze)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar and lemon zest with your fingers, releasing all the oils from the zest. Then add all other dry ingredients with a whisk to mix thoroughly.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and mix until the margarine is just melted. This mixture should be just slightly warm to the touch.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until just combined. It should form a very soft dough.
- Using a tablespoon or a piping bag, transfer the dough into a lightly greased nonstick doughnut pan. Smooth out the top of each dough with your fingers.
- Bake for 12 minutes. They should not be browned on top, but a toothpick will come out clean.
- Invert the hot pan over a cutting board or cooling rack to release the doughnuts. Allow cooling completely before decorating.
- Combine the glaze ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk until the glaze is smooth. Remove from heat and immediately begin dunking the donuts, one by one, into the lemon glaze.