Food on sticks: we’re into it. We pressed, sliced, marinated, skewered, grilled, and then smothered these gorgeous King Oyster mushrooms in a ginger-peanut sauce. This is a wicked easy and delicious way to use this type of mushroom! King Oyster mushrooms are one of our favorite shrooms for their versatility and meaty texture. Slice ’em and you’ve got plant-based scallops. Bread and fry these beauties for a beautiful appetizer. Slice them the other way, and you’ve got something to thread onto a skewer for a perfect, plant-based shroom dish!
King Oyster Skewers With Spicy Peanut-Ginger Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for King Oyster Skewers With Spicy Peanut-Ginger Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Mushrooms:
- 1 pound King Oyster mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons oil, to coat in bowl
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for about an hour
For the Marinade:
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
For the Peanut-Ginger Sauce:
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/3 cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 3-4 limes, sliced in half and juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup warm water, as needed to thin out the sauce
For the Garnish:
- Sesame seeds, as needed
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Few leaves of mint, some sliced thin and some left whole
How to Prepare King Oyster Skewers With Spicy Peanut-Ginger Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Mushrooms:
- Toss the mushrooms in the oiled bowl, using your hands to coat them. Place mushrooms into a cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Place another cast iron pan on top of the shrooms to create a weight. Add 1/4 cup water, cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup water and press again. The purpose here is to press them into a square.
- Remove the weight and the shrooms from the pan. Slice into thin strips, then place into the marinade. Set aside for 20 minutes to an hour.
To Make the Peanut-Ginger Sauce:
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients except for the water. Slowly add in the water until the desired consistency is achieved. Set aside.
To Grill the Marinated 'Shrooms:
- Skewer each shroom strip onto a skewer. Grill until the mushrooms develop a little color. Serve drizzled with the peanut-ginger sauce, sesame seeds, cilantro, and mint.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.