A rich, hearty, new take on the classic pumpkin pie. The kabocha is a Japanese winter squash that brings out rich notes in the pumpkin filling. This recipe will surely spice up your Thanksgiving table this year.
Kabocha Squash and Pumpkin Pie [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Kabocha Squash and Pumpkin Pie [Vegan, Grain-Free]
To Make the Crust:
- 1 3/4 cup sprouted spelt flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 10 tablespoons of vegan ghee
- 7 tablespoons ice cold water
To Make the Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pumpkin purée
- 1 1/2 cups fresh kabocha squash purée (1 small kabocha squash)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
How to Prepare Kabocha Squash and Pumpkin Pie [Vegan, Grain-Free]
To Make the Crust:
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, and sugar until well combined. Using clean hands, add butter and toss until just coated. Rub butter between thumb and forefingers to incorporate into flour mixture until butter is in lima bean-sized pieces and comes together in quarter-sized clumps when squeezed in palm, about 2 minutes.
- Drizzle in half ice water and rake through mixture with fingers until just moistened. Drizzle in remaining water 1 tablespoon at a time and comb through mixture with fingers to moisten. Dough is moist but not wet, avoid overworking the dough or it will become tough. While rotating the bowl with 1 hand, push dough between other palm and side of bowl to gather into a ball.
- Turn dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, press it into a flat disk, then close in wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before rolling out and forming into a crust.
- Grease a 10-inch pie pan with coconut oil.
- Lay the rolled out dough over top the pan and gently work it into form, using your fingers to pinch and form the crust.
To Make the Filling:
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Rinse the pumpkin and squash. Slice both into halves, remove stems, and clean out the seeds. Place the sliced pumpkin and squash together in a large pot with just enough water to steam. Boil for about 30 minutes or until both the flesh is tender. Remove from the water and allow to cool. Using a spoon, scoop the flesh out and discard the skins. Transfer the flesh to a blender and puree both pumpkin and squash together. Measure out 3 cups total of the purée and set aside. Store any remaining purée in the fridge.
- Rinse the blender out. In the clean blender pitcher, add the 3 cups of purée and remaining filling ingredients. Blend lightly until well combined. Remove the pie crust from the freezer and pour the filling overtop, using a spatula to spread evenly. Place on top of a baking sheet and set in the oven to bake for 45-50 minutes. Depending on your altitude, the baking time may vary. Check occasionally and reduce heat if the crust is cooking too quickly. You want a golden crust and well set center of the pie.
- Once done, remove from oven and allow to cool before serving. It pairs great with a dollop of coconut whipped cream or sprinkling of cinnamon over top.
Makes one, 10-inch pie.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 2,644 | Total Carbs: 457 g | Total Fat: 82 g | Total Protein: 34 g | Total Sodium: 849 mg | Total Sugar: 277 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.